This is an analysis of the poem Sixteenth Sunday After Trinity that begins with:
Wish not, dear friends, my pain away -
Wish me a wise and thankful heart,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cccc XdXd XeXe fgfg ahah didi jhjh acac eaea kaka
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11111101 11011101 01011101 10010101 010100111 01001101 10000111 01010011 1111101 0101001001 11011101 11010101 01110101 11110011 1111010110 11011111 00110011 11111101 10111110 110001111 110110010 11111111 10011111 11110101 10110101 11010101 11111111 01010101 10110101 11010111 01011111 11011111 110101011 11101101 11111110 11010101 110010111 11010101 010101011 01100101 0100101010 11011111 111111010 101100001
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 148
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; our, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words wish, we, and are repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sixteenth Sunday After Trinity;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.