This is an analysis of the poem The Rock In El Ghor that begins with:
Dead Petra in her hill-tomb sleeps,
Her stones of emptiness remain;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd efef gXgh bXbX hcXc hbhb eiei jjjj klkl mfmf eheh nhnh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11000111 01010001 010101001 01010101 00110001 01010111 01010111 01010101 100101001 010010111 01010101 11000101 01010101 010110100 01010101 10010101 11010101 01010101 010101001 01010101 11010101 11110101 10010100 11011111 01110101 01010101 110101011 01010101 11010101 01010101 11010101 01000101 11010101 11110101 110100101 11010101 10010101 110100111 01000101 01010111 11011101 01011101 01010101 11010101 01011101 01110101 110100111 11100101 110101110 011100101 111111010 01100101
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 137
- Average number of words per stanza: 25
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; her, of, in, we are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words of, we are repeated.
The author used the same word or at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase god connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Rock In El Ghor;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.