This is an analysis of the poem The Beggar's Opera (Excerpts) that begins with:
Air I.An old woman clothed in gray, &c.1-
Through all the employments of life... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ab c b c d a d Xe e e e d f a e e Xg h g h i i XXi j i j f f X XXa k a k l aXl
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,3,1,1,1,1,1,1,3,1,1,1,1,3,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11011010111 11001001 110010010 111111011 1010011010 01101001 01001001 101001111 1011101101101010 0111111 0111111 1101111 1111111 011111 1001110 0111110 0101011 0101011 11111001000 1010111 101110 1011101 101010 101 111 100100101000 1010100 1111101 101010 1011101 101110 111 1101 11010010100 11111 100100101111 11010111 111110101 110101001 11000101 0111101001 1111101010 11110101
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 163
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 77
- Average number of symbols per line: 21 (very short strings)
- Average number of words per line: 4
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; your, woman are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines 4 is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Beggar's Opera (Excerpts);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.