This is an analysis of the poem Holy Sonnet Xi: Spit In My Face You Jewes that begins with:
Spit in my face you Jewes, and pierce my side,
Buffet, and scoffe, scourge, and crucifie mee, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaaXbaXcXcdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 10111101111 011111101 11111111001 111110011 1111110101 110111010100 11110100111 10110101101 1111011101 1101111100 11011011010 1001101001 1110011111 1101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 619
- Average number of words per stanza: 110
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Holy Sonnet Xi: Spit In My Face You Jewes;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.