This is an analysis of the poem The Wonderful Country that begins with:
THERE once was a time when, as old songs prove it,
The earth was not round, but an endless plain; ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcd eeeeedeD XafabcbD ghghiXiD bjbjfdfD
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11101111110 0111111101 011111010010 11001010101 111011110010 0101110111 11011001010 0010010101 10111011110 0100101101 11101101110 1100101101 11001101011 101011101101 11001111011 0110010101 11011111000 1100100111 110111010010 0110100111 11011001010 11000110110 11001011100 0110010101 11001001010 1100100111 11001101010 0101101101 11001101110 0101110110 01001101110 0110010101 11011011010 11011111011 11001011010 0101101101 11101001011 1100101101 11101011011 0110010101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 363
- Average number of words per stanza: 65
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; as, and, they are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, for are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word away at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of The Wonderful Country;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.