This is an analysis of the poem The Loss Of The Emigrants that begins with:
The Steamer ' Atlantic ' Was Wrecked Near Halifax, N. S., April1, 1873, And 560 Lives Lost.
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a abab cccc dede fdfd ccXc ghgh afaX ijij klklXdhdh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 01010101111101111011111 1110010011 1111001101 1111110101 0111010111 1101010101 11001010101 1001100101 1111110101 1101110111 0101010101 1101010111 1111010111 1101110001 11010001001 1101010101 1101010101 1111111101 1101001101 1111010101 0101110101 1111011101 1101000101 1011110101 0101011111 1111111101 1111110111 0111110101 0101010101 0111010101 1111011101 0101010101 1101010101 0101000101 1111000101 0101011101 1101000101 11011101110 11010101111 01110101010 1111010111
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 173
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 42
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, their are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, they, their are repeated.
The author used the same word they at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Loss Of The Emigrants;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.