This is an analysis of the poem Silence, Not Death that begins with:
I START! I have slept for a moment;
I have dreamt, sitting here by her chair— ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXb Xbcb deae fgag aaaa ecXc feXe Xhdh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 111111010 111101101 1110110111 11011011 0110111110 11011111 1011011110 01101111 0110011111 01101101 0010010110 111011001 011111110 11001001 111111010 11011001 110010010 11001001 110111110 010100001 111111110 110010001 1111110110 100101101 1010110010 01001001 111111010 11011001 111111010 01101001 1110010010 11001001
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 154
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 38 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, what, her, it, in, let, me are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word i is repeated.
The author used the same word it at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of Silence, Not Death;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.