This is an analysis of the poem Rules Of The Road that begins with:
WHAT man would be wise, let him drink of the river
That bears on its bosom the record of time...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababbcbc dedefgfg hghgXiji jkjkdgdg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111011110010 11101000101 0100110011010 01101111101 111010011111 01011111001 010110010011 01011001011 111110011110 11100111101 110101010010 11101001001 010111010011 01011111111 111011011011 11001101001 1010011011010 11001111001 1100111100010 11111101011 111011110100 11101101001 110110111110 11111111111 111010011010 01101011001 110110110110 10101011101 111111110110 01011001101 1010110011010 11111110001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 395
- Average number of words per stanza: 79
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, him, it, for, not, and, your are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, be are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Rules Of The Road;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.