This is an analysis of the poem Her Refrain that begins with:
Do you love me?' she said, when the skies were blue,
And we walked where the stream through the branches glistened; ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab XcXc dede fXgggfX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,7,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111110101 111101101010 11111001111 11101111110 11111101101 10111001010 11100100111 111011101010 11111111111 101100001010 01101101111 111001101110 11110100101 101101101011 11101100111 0101101011 11101101111 11101101111 1101111110111
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 240
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 19
- Average number of symbols per line: 50 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The author used the same word do at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Her Refrain;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.