This is an analysis of the poem Poem At The New Year that begins with:
Once, out on the water in the clear, early nineteenth-century twilight,
you asked time to suspend its flight. If wishes could beget more than...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcb ddbeb XaXXcXdXcf dafbd eXddc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,5,10,5,5,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111010001101110011 11100101010101111 1101111110110110 10001001101101100 101100101 11111101100010 01011000111011 101111111 10101111101 110010100010101100 11010010101001 01011110111010 111100011 111100010110 11010111111011 11111101010 0010110111111 011110111010110 11110101 1101110100101010 0100101010110101 11101010111000 110011110111 100010111001101 1110111010101001 01110101111 0111101101 10100110110 01011010101001010
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 311
- Average number of words per stanza: 59
- Amount of lines: 29
- Average number of symbols per line: 53 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, i are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Poem At The New Year;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.