This is an analysis of the poem On The Discoveries Of Captain Lewis (January 14, 1807) that begins with:
Let the Nile cloak his head in the clouds, and defy
The researches of science and time;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaX cdcd efef ecec dXdd BABA egeg bXbgXBABA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 101101001101 001001011 101001011001 11011001 01011111001 01111011 111110001101 111111001 11101011001 1010111001 01011001101 11011001 001101011001 11001001 1001101111011 11011011 10001001011 101011010 01101101001 11011001 11011001001 111011001 111011101101 11101001 111011010010 101111001 0110100111010 111111001 010001011011 111010110 101101011001 11001001 11011001001 111011001 111011101101 11101001
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 172
- Average number of words per stanza: 31
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, their are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of On The Discoveries Of Captain Lewis (January 14, 1807);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Joel Barlow
- Analysis of Vision Of Columbus – Book 3
- Analysis of Vision Of Columbus - Book 4
- Analysis of Vision Of Columbus - Book 5