This is an analysis of the poem Regret that begins with:
O that word REGRET!
There have been nights and morns when we have sighed,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abacdcb edbffggga XgahbeXhe ibabaaa Xihihaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,9,9,7,7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11101 1101111111 1101011110 0111111111 1110010101 0111010101 1101011001 1001110101 1101010111 11010110101 11000110101 0111010 111 1111011101 1101010111 0111111101 1101100111 1101011101 1010010111 111110001 1111110101 1111010111 1111010101 1101001111 11000010 1 1101010111 1101111101 1011011101 1001011101 0111011011 110101011101 1 1101010101 1111011111 0101001111 0101010101 1101001111 1100111011101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 308
- Average number of words per stanza: 59
- Amount of lines: 39
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; it, they, and, we, i are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word forget at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Regret;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.