This is an analysis of the poem The Orphan that begins with:
My father and mother are dead,
Nor friend, nor relation I know; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcX eded dada fafa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11011011 11101011 11011011 11001001 11110001 01111001 111000011 1110110110 11111101 01101001 01101101 11101011 11111001 11111101 11111011 01001001 11111001 11101001 111101001 10111011
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 138
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, i are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Orphan;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.