This is an analysis of the poem When Evening Shadows Fall that begins with:
When evening shadows fall,
She hangs her cares away... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AbabcacA dbdbeaeA fgfghahA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110111 110101 11010101 110001 1111001 110101 11010101 110111 010101 010001 01010101 010101 100111 110001 010110101 110111 110111 110001 11000111 111101 111101 011111 11011101 110111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 227
- Average number of words per stanza: 42
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of When Evening Shadows Fall;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by James Whitcomb Riley
- Analysis of When De Folks Is Gone
- Analysis of Old Winters On The Farm
- Analysis of A New Year's Plaint