This is an analysis of the poem The Boys that begins with:
Where are they?--the friends of my childhood enchanted--
The clear, laughing eyes looking back in my own,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaccb dbdeebXcbcccb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111010111010 01101101011 1011010111110 111110 110010 11011101001 1010011110010 01001100111 1110010110110 110011 011111 01111101001 111110011010 01001101001 10101111010110 110110 011010 01001101001
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 249
- Average number of words per stanza: 45
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word of is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word drone at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Boys;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.