This is an analysis of the poem August that begins with:
A day of torpor in the sullen heat
Of Summer's passion: In the sluggish stream... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd aeae efef Xfaf gcgc hchc ieie jfjfXaaaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 0101000101 0101000101 0101011101 010111 1101111001 1111010101 0111011101 1101011 0101010101 0101010111 0101001101 010101 0101010101 0111011101 0101010101 010001 01000100101 01010101001 0101110101 010101 1101010101 1101010101 0101000101 010001 0101110101 11001110101 0101010111 010001 1101010101 0101010001 0101010101 010101 0100111101 0101010001 1100010101 110101 1101110101 0101010101 1110010111 010101
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 147
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words a, the are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of August;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.