This is an analysis of the poem A Nuptial Song that begins with:
Come, gentle Venus! and assuage
A warring world, a bleeding age.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbbbbbccddeeddffccgghhiijjcckkcccXll
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 38,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010101 01010101 11010111 01010101 01010101 11010101 0100110011 0110011101 01010101 01010101 01010111 01010101 110010101 11110011 11000101 11010101 11110101 010001001 010100101 10110111 11010001 11001101 110101011 01110111 11110101 11011101 110100101 11100101 11011101 11000101 11110101 11010101 11111101 11101101 11110110 11110101 11010101 11100001
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1324
- Average number of words per stanza: 240
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, has, thy are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, you, to, has are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Nuptial Song;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by James Thomson
- Analysis of Dawn In Summer
- Analysis of Rule Britannia
- Analysis of Epitaph On Miss Stanley, In Holyrood Church, Southampton