This is an analysis of the poem Lectures To Women On Physical Science that begins with:
PLACE. -- A small alcove with dark curtains.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bcX bbbbdd edcddd fgggdd X XX hXhXiigbXbgX jXjXaa ejeXdd bhbXXX XXgfXX kgkXcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,3,6,6,6,1,2,12,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1 1001110110 01010110 011010100000 01111101 111101010 011111001 010101010 11011011110 11010111010010 11111111 110101010 0101001010 010101010 11010101010 1101010111010 11110101 010100010 0101011010 111100010 11111011110 1111110101010 1 10001001100111100100 010100010010100 11000100 11010100 11010100 01010011 1110101010 11110010 110110101 110101010 11100100 11110010 011111010 1111010100 10111001 111110100 11110101 01010100 11010111 11110111 11010101 01001111 10101110111 110111110 11111111 11010011 110111001 110101010 01011101 11001010100 1010100111000 1101011000 10001000100 111100010100 11111111 110001110 11111111 1011101010 0100101001 11110101 101100101 01100100 110111010 110101010
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 205
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 70
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, flow, to, break, of, you, me are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, flow, the, swing, break, you are repeated.
The author used the same words i, o at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word i at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase i connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lectures To Women On Physical Science;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.