This is an analysis of the poem Alms that begins with:
Near a large town, along the broad highroad walked an old sick man.
He tottered as he went; his old wasted legs, halting, dragging, stumbling,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bccd aed f ccgcg d fX Xf hX bX eiX f XhX ff ib cXdcg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,4,3,1,5,1,2,2,2,2,3,1,3,2,2,5,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101101011011111 1100111011011010100 11001101110101010 110101100101110 11110011 1111011011110100111 0110100111010100 111100111 1010 010111101111111100 11110010011011100 11111101011110101 110011111010111 10000111 01111110011 1001111111011100101 1110011010 0111111111101101 10101101 11100111101010111 11011010100 1010110011001111110 1 111011011111010 10111111111011 1011111101 0111010110 101101111101001011 11111111101001010 1011111 0111010110100101 1010010011001100101 01111011110101101 0010111110 110101011110111101 10111011001010111 01101011101111100 11010011111010011
- Amount of stanzas: 17
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 133
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 59 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, on, and, had, he, but, not, ', him, man, old are repeated.
The author used the same words he, the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines his is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase remembered connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Alms;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.