This is an analysis of the poem Fires Of Driftwood that begins with:
ON what long tides
Do you drift to my fire,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaaaaX Cdeb eXdXb CcXaXeXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,4,5,8,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111 1110110 110110 0111 11001 110010 100110101 1101 1001 1111110 101110 11101 1101011101 111 1110 11011110 1101 1111010011 101011 1001011010 1100 11100111010 101010 1010101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 159
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 26 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words what, you are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines you is repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase you connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Fires Of Driftwood;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.