This is an analysis of the poem Hymn 153 that begins with:
The distemper, folly, and madness of sin
Sin, like a venomous disease,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bcXc cdcd aeae cbcb ffffXbbbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 00101011001 11010001 011101 01010101 100101 11011111 111101 11010101 000101 10110101 010111 11110101 0101001 11011101 110001 10010001 110111 11110111 110101 11010101 110101 01010101 101111 11111101 101101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 112
- Average number of words per stanza: 21
- Amount of lines: 25
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word we is repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase sin connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Hymn 153;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.