This is an analysis of the poem The Last Night of the Year that begins with:
Now the good old Year is dead and gone
To the grave of the Past, forever borne.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccdd eeffgghh ggaaccaa eecciiggXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,10,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 100110111 0010010101 11110101 1010010111 111011101 1010110101 1100101001 110011001 111100101 1110011101 1111110101 110110101 10100100101 0111111 111011101 110111101 11100100111 0010010111 110100111 0010110111 10101001001 10100100111 111100101 1110011111 111100101 010110101 111100101 0111001111 111100111 0110101111 0111111101 0111110111 0011111101 110110101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 346
- Average number of words per stanza: 67
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, his, us, we, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, let, or, perchance are repeated.
The author used the same word now at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of The Last Night of the Year;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.