This is an analysis of the poem The End Of The Year that begins with:
As a life-weary pilgrim sinks to his last repose,
The old year, pale and pulseless, swoons o'er the drifting snows;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb ccdd bbXX eeaa ccaa ffgg cchh ggcc aXii ffXX jjdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1011010100101 011111001100101 11010100010101 01011010010101 111010011011101 1100111000100101 11110101101001 0101011101101 01011111110111 110101011100101 110111111101100 1110101110101 110101010111010 1111100100010 01010101010101 0101010110011 111011010111001 1101010110101 1101010010001 11011101101001 1100111011101 011101010101 1101110010101 11111101010011 110011011101 11010101010101 1111011010101 10010100010101 11010101010101 1101100010001 1010101110111 10101110011101 1001010110011 011111010010 1100111100101 0101010110101 0111001010101 01010101100101 0101110011101 1101110110011 1011011010101 1000100011111 10101110110111 111111010101001
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 235
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 58 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, and, their, thy, in, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words thy, when, and, to are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The End Of The Year;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.