This is an analysis of the poem Serranilla that begins with:
FROM Calatrava as I took my way
At holy Mary's shrine to kneel and pray, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaabbCc dddcc eeecCaX aXffccX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,5,7,7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 0100011111 1101010111 1101111101 1101110111 1111110101 01000001010 1001110 0101110101 0101010111 1101011101 11110101110 1001010 11111100001 1111001100 1111010101 11110111110 01000001010 1111110101 1011101100 1100011111 11010001011 1111011111 1111010101 11011111110 01011101110 1001011
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 277
- Average number of words per stanza: 55
- Amount of lines: 26
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, her, i, she, you are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines her is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word her at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase her connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Serranilla;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.