This is an analysis of the poem Misgivings that begins with:
When ocean-clouds over inland hills
Sweep storming in late autumn brown, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababacc dbdbdee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 110110111 11001101 110010101 101110001 11011101 0101000101 101101101101 10110101 1100110001 01110101 011101 0101010101 1111010111 011100100100101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 295
- Average number of words per stanza: 51
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Misgivings;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Herman Melville
- Analysis of Song of the Paddlers [excerpt]
- Analysis of "The Ribs And Terrors In The Whale"
- Analysis of Look-Out Mountain