This is an analysis of the poem To The Driving Cloud that begins with:
Gloomy and dark art thou, O chief of the mighty Omahas;
Gloomy and dark as the driving cloud, whose name thou hast taken!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xabbcded XbcbfXbdabfXa XeXgcbbaXeX ddhgabhbebeXXdXXXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,13,11,18,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101111110010100 101110101111110 101101011111010 1011001111010010 111011111101 11 10011000101110 11 111111111011 0010 111101111011 0010 110011010100111 10 10010011101111 10 1001111011110 10 100100101100101 11 100101001110010 111011001010010 110111100100100 10 10101101011010 11110100100101 10 111111010010010 111001011010011 1101001010110101 11111010110100 10 11100100101100 10 00010010111010010 10110111010010 111001001010011 1110011111011010 1110011111010010 1011001110010010 100101100110100 110 11011010100100 11 11010111010100 11 000101100010110100 111010110111010 011 110100101010110
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 577
- Average number of words per stanza: 106
- Amount of lines: 50
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, race, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words gloomy, there, far are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of To The Driving Cloud;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.