This is an analysis of the poem The Unknown Dead that begins with:
The rain is plashing on my sill,
But all the winds of Heaven are still;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbbbccddeeffgggXhhfXhhgg hhhhbbaaiijjkkddXhii
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 26,20,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010111 110101011 11010111 11100111 101100111 01010001 01110101 110101001 100101010 011101010 11110101 01011111 10010111 11111101 01011101 11010101 11010101 11110101 11010001 010001101 11011101 11010100 11111101 11010101 10110101 010010101 01110101 11111101 10110001 11110111 001100111 01011001 11011101 11110101 11110101 11010101 11010111 111101001 11011011 01011111 110101010 111101010 11010110 010000101 01110101 1101011001
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 820
- Average number of words per stanza: 149
- Amount of lines: 46
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; some is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word what is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Unknown Dead;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.