This is an analysis of the poem The Dance that begins with:
Take the name of the swain, a forlorn witless elf
Who was chang'd to a flow'r for admiring himself. ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbcc ddeeffgg hhiieXe jjdXkk iiXehh X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,8,7,6,6,1,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 101001001101 111001101001 01101001101 01101111011 0101011011 001001011101 01010110110 110010110010 01110100001 001001001001 001001001011 101001101101 010011110001 101011001101 001001001001 01101011011 011010110010 110110100010 111001101011 11011011011 11101111101 001101001001 01101101101 1101101010 1100100110101 11011011001 110101111001 101001110010 011010010010 010110010100 101011010110 11101101011 11111011001 101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 260
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, happy, her are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines her is repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase her connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Dance;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.