This is an analysis of the poem The Vanguard  that begins with:
They say, in all kindness, I’m out of the hunt—
Too old and too deaf to be sent to the Front.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccddeebb ffgghh hhbbii bjddkkXjjkkee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11011011001 11111001001 01001001001 0010111111001 100111001001 110101101011 111101011011 111101101001 101001111011 1111010110001 111111011111 111001011010 01001001001 11001011001 110010110010 111011110010 01101110101 111011111001 11011111001 111101101101 111011001101 111011011101 101111011001 11011001101 11101111001 1110011110010 111001011001 01101111011 11011011111 010111110011 1110111101 11001001001 11001101011 11001101111 111011011011 111101011011
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 355
- Average number of words per stanza: 69
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, to, and, no, we are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, our are repeated.
The author used the same word our at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Vanguard ;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.