This is an analysis of the poem The Hymn Of The Socialists that begins with:
By the bodies and minds and souls that rot in a common stye
In the city’s offal-holes, where the dregs of its horrors lie —... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXaaXbcc aadd eeff dddd Xbee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101011111100101 001010110100101 10111011100101 1101001010110111 1011101101001100 10101111100111 1010011100100101 1101101011110011 101101110111101 1010111010100101 1010010111100101 11011010111111111 11101111110111 11001110100111 10111111110101 1101101011111111 101001110010111 101001111011100 1011101001101011 11011010110111111 01001110011101 010011110100111 11110011110111 111011111100101101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 326
- Average number of words per stanza: 66
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 67 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 14
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, by, that, our, to, in, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words by, the are repeated.
The author used the same word by at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Hymn Of The Socialists;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.