This is an analysis of the poem The Empty Glass that begins with:
THERE ARE three lank bards in a borrowed room—
Ah! The number is one too few—... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbdeXe cfafcghg gdedbfcf dbdbdigi cccccjcj hkakXcgcXcfefcghg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111100111 10100111 1111110101 10111101 1101100111 1010111 1101111101 11101101 10010100101 1010111 10011100101 1100101 1011110101 101101001 1110101100 100101101 1010110111 1010111 110110101 1110111 10011100111 1100101 1110011111 1111101 100101110101 11111111 10101110101 1101111 1010110111 1100101 1010100101 0101001 00101110101 1110101 00100100101 0011101 1110110101 1010101 10101101101 1111111 11101100100 0111001 0110101111 11001011 1111110101 1111101 1010100101 1110101 10010101 1011101 101001001001 1110111 1011110101 10100101 1110101100 100100101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 308
- Average number of words per stanza: 61
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 38 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; they, and, s, by are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, in are repeated.
The author used the same word there at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Empty Glass;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.