This is an analysis of the poem Taking His Chance that begins with:
They stood by the door of the Inn on the Rise;
May Carney looked up in the bushranger's eyes: ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXXbb Xcddee ccbbbb ffXXee ddffee Xfeeff bXbbbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11101001101 11011001001 11011011011 11101011111 01101001001 11001111111 11011011001 11001101001 11011101001 101011001011 11011001101 11001001001 11101011001 11101101001 11001001011 11011001011 11001001011 01011001011 11001101001 11111101011 01111001101 11001111101 11001001001 11001111001 11001101001 01001011101 11011011001 01001001111 11011111101 11111001001 11111001011 11111001001 11001001001 01001011001 01101101011 11101001001 01010011101 11001011101 01001101101 11001111101 11001111001 11111111111
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 302
- Average number of words per stanza: 57
- Amount of lines: 42
- Average number of symbols per line: 50 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you, he, her, they, of, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word they is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Taking His Chance;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.