This is an analysis of the poem Shearers Dream that begins with:
O I dreamt I shore in a shearing shed and it was a dream of joy
For every one of the rouseabouts was a girl dressed up as a boy... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb bb ccdd eeff aagg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,2,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11111001011010101 110010010010111101 11101001010100101 11101111111100101 111111111110100101 11111111111100101 01111010111101001 01101001001101101 011010010010101101 11001101001100101 11101101011111111 0111101111010101 111011101110100111 110010011000101111 1110010100111101110 111001010011100111 111001101011100111 111011001010100101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 251
- Average number of words per stanza: 51
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 69 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 14
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, them, every, girls are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, there are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word between at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of Shearers Dream;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.