This is an analysis of the poem In The Day's When We Are Dead that begins with:
Listen! The end draws nearer,
Nearer the morning—or night—... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababacacdbdBaB eceC fgfg fcfC aXaXXacacac
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,4,4,4,11,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1001110 1001011 111001010 1001011 11010010 1110111 111001010 0011111 1011010 1111101 11110010 1111101 010110110 1111101 110011110 11101111 1011011010 0101111 10111110 11011111 111011010 01011101 111110110 11011111 110011010 0101111 11011110 111111 11101110 10100111 11111110 111101001 01001010 0001111 1010110110 101101001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 194
- Average number of words per stanza: 40
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; we, that, for, few, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word for is repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase nearer connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of In The Day's When We Are Dead;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.