This is an analysis of the poem The Dance Of Death that begins with:
He is the despots' Despot. All must bide,
Later or soon, the message of his might;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababbbcXXXD ababbbccXXD abaXbbccXcD ababbbccdcD ababbbccXcD XbbccXcD
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 11,11,11,11,11,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1001010111 1011010001 1011011111 1101010001 0101011111 1101000101 0101010101 1111001110 1001110011 1011010101 1011110011 0101010001 110101011 0101011111 1100110001 0101110001 1101010101 1101010001 1101001111 10001011100 110101010110 1011110011 1111011101 0110010011 1011010101 1101010111 1001011001 01110100100 1001110111 1001110101 0101010010 1011010111 1011110011 1111010001 101101011 1011001101 1101000101 1111010101 11110010101 1101110111 10101010101 0011011101 1101110101 1011110011 1111010111 1001000101 1101010101 1001000111 1101010101 0111010100 1111110101 0101010111 01010111100 1111010101 1011110011 10 1111110001 1101001101 1111010101 1111111101 11011010100 1111110111 1011110011
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 446
- Average number of words per stanza: 83
- Amount of lines: 63
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, he, of, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words him, woe, he, nay, the are repeated.
The author used the same word he at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word death at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Dance Of Death;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.