This is an analysis of the poem While The Days Go By that begins with:
I shall not say, our life is all in vain,
For peace may cheer the desolated hearth;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaC dbbdC eXXeC fggfC hiihc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111110101 1111010001 1111110101 1111000101 10111 11111100001 11001010011 0110011101 1111111011 10111 1101010111 1101010001 11110111110 1101010111 10111 1111111111 1111010111 111010101011 1101010111 10111 11010101001 1001110010 0111010111 1100111101 10111
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 198
- Average number of words per stanza: 40
- Amount of lines: 25
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, go, we are repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word by at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of While The Days Go By;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.