This is an analysis of the poem New Year's Morning that begins with:
Only a night from old to new!
Only a night, and so much wrought! ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AbaXcdcXdbdXdcdceXeX Abab afafghghAcac
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 20,4,12,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 10010101 10011111 01111101 110111110 01110111 10011101 11000111 100100010 01111101 01000111 111011111 110101100 100111001 11010101 1101101 11110011 11010010 10111101 11010111 1111111100 10010101 10011101 01110101 11110011 11010101 11010101 11011111 10010001 11110101 01010111 11110101 11000101 10010101 10010101 01010111 11110111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 438
- Average number of words per stanza: 83
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, i, morn, new are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word only is repeated.
The author used the same word only at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of New Year's Morning;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.