This is an analysis of the poem Jack And Nancy. A Sea Song that begins with:
O! Say, lovely Nan! can you lie in a hammock?
When the mountain-waves rage, can you swing in a hammock?...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb aacc ddbb ccee ddee Xdee ddff eeccXaaee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111011110010 1010111110010 10110111101101 1110110010110 111111110010 1010111110010 110011111011 011011110111 110110111110 010011010110 10111111101101 0110111010110 111111110111 111010011011 011010010110 0101101110010 111111010110 011111011110 11101011110010 0110111110110 111111010110 011111011110 110110110110 011110111010 111111010110 010110011110 1110111111011 111110110011 111110111010 11111110110010 1111110011111 0111010111011 111111110010 1010111110010 011111111110 1111111111010
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 220
- Average number of words per stanza: 42
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 54 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; can, me, when, all, you, my, we are repeated.
The author used the same word o at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines hammock, me, her, you are repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Jack And Nancy. A Sea Song;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.