This is an analysis of the poem Proportionate that begins with:
I never go to church to pray
Among the crowded pews... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcbXded bXcX XaeX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010101 010101 11010101 010101 110101 011101 11000101 110101 100101 110101 10010001 110101 110101 010111 01011111 110100
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 134
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 24 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, for are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word or is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Proportionate;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.