This is an analysis of the poem To Idleness that begins with:
Sweet Idleness, you linger at the door
To lead me down through meadows cool with shade—... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababbccbaaddd XXeXfefgfghhdaad eeijijfafa kkXaggaglglg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 13,16,10,12,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1100110101 0111111101 1001101101 010101 1101001101 11110101010 10110 0111011101 111111 111101 10111111011 10010001111 0111111101 1100111100 0101010011 1111110101 1101001000 100100 1101011100 1101010110 1011001 1101011111 111101 1001111101 1101110111 1100101 1011011111 1111100101 110101 1011000101 111101 111111110 111001001 110101010 11111101 01111111 01011111 11111101 11010101 1111110011 1111010111 11110111010 1101 111100101 111111001 11000011111 11101111111 11010 0101110101 0101110 1011111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 496
- Average number of words per stanza: 91
- Amount of lines: 51
- Average number of symbols per line: 38 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; them, him, you, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words surely, ah, the are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines me is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Idleness;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.