This is an analysis of the poem Great City that begins with:
When I returned at sunset,
The serving-maid was singing softly ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcXdaed XaafdXXbcfaXeeXaXfaba
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,21,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101111 010111010 100111001 111101011 1111111101 0100111011 111010101010 101110101 11011 1111 1111 11010101 10110011 1011100 1100010100 101010010 00110101 0101 010101 01010 110 110 10010 11 1101010001 1100011111 1001110 1101110001
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 282
- Average number of words per stanza: 50
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; falling, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, the are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Great City;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.