This is an analysis of the poem The Glass Jar that begins with:
To Vivian Smith
A child one summer's evening soaked...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xabbacc cXXcdd ceeXff aggahh dhhdff accacc ijjikkXcbcgbg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,6,6,6,6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01001 01110101 01100101 10011111 11010101 0111000101 0101010101 10010101 10010100 10110011 10001001 11010101010 01010101110 11010010010 11010101 010101011 1011011000 0011011111 0110010001 11010101 110011101 01010111 11100101 1011111001 0011011111 01110100 10010101 11011101 001100100 1110001001 1111110111 01101111 01010001 01010101 10111101 0001001011 0101001101 11000101 110010111 01010111 101101111 1111010111 0011010101 1011001 11010110 1010101 101001001 01011011110 010010101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 230
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 49
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words a, to are repeated.
The author used the same word he at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Glass Jar;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.