This is an analysis of the poem To Edmund Clerihew Bentley that begins with:
Dedication to 'The Man who was Thursday'
A cloud was on the mind of men, and wailing went the weather,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X aabbccccddeeffbbee eeggffhhbbggeeXgiieeXheeee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,18,26,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 10100111110 011101011101010 101101011101010 100101001101001 0111110111101 1101010110101 1111010111101 1011010111101 1111110110101 1101110110111 01110101111101 11010101011001 1001010110101 1010110111111 11111010111101 101011010101111 11111101011101 1110010110101 1111010111101 111001101110101 110100011010001 110101111101011 11011100110101 1010101010101011 10010101110101 11111101011001 11010001110101 11111101011001 10000101110101 11011101111101 1100010110101 1110100101010101 1111011110101 000101111001101 11111101011101 01010101111111 011101011110101 01101101110001 11110111111101 01111101111110 1111010110010101 01110101111101 11010101100101 11110111110101 11110101111101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 917
- Average number of words per stanza: 173
- Amount of lines: 45
- Average number of symbols per line: 60 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; that, we, not, all, and, of, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word of is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Edmund Clerihew Bentley;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.