This is an analysis of the poem Modern Elfland that begins with:
I cut a staff in a churchyard copse,
I clad myself in ragged things,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xaba acXc debe deae ceae fXfX XceX XfXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 110100111 11110101 11010011 11101101 11110011 111100011 11110111 11110101 11011101 10110101 10110111 11011101 110011101 11111101 011100111 10010101 11011101 11010101 11010101 010100101 010101011 01010001 01110101 111010100 01111111 01110001 11010001 11010100 11010101 111101011 00010111 11111011
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 149
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, in, my, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, the are repeated.
The author used the same words i, but at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Modern Elfland;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.