This is an analysis of the poem Il Y A Cent Ans that begins with:
That march of the funereal Past behold;
How Glory sat on Bondage for its throne;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab acac cccc dada eaea fafa ghgh abab ifif jbjbXagag
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1100100101 1101110101 1111011101 1111110111 1101111111 1111110111 1111001111 10111010111 01010101011 1101010101 11010101101 0101000101 0011110111 1001101101 1101010101 10010010001 1111010101 11001010101 01001100101 11000100101 11001100010 1111110001 01110101110 0001011101 1111011101 11010101001 1111111101 1001010101 1111011101 1111110011 1101110101 1001001111 11000101001 11011111110 0100011101 111100010010 1111011111 0111110001 101010010000 1101110101 0111000001 11100110101 0101011111 1101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 177
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; their, our are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words how, what are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Il Y A Cent Ans;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.