This is an analysis of the poem Mortification that begins with:
How soon doth man decay!
When clothes are taken from a chest of sweets... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcabc decdec afcXfc egcegc hichXc iXciac
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111101 1111000101 0110111 1101 11110101 1101110101 111101 110011001 110110011 1011 01011101 0101011111 110111 1111010111 11010111 010 11010001 1101110101 111111 1001111111 01010001 1001 11010101 1001010101 111111 1001110101 11111101 1111 01110101 1101100101 111001 110100100 11011111 1101 11011101 111110101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 206
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; them, and, his are repeated.
The author used the same word when at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word death at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Mortification;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.