This is an analysis of the poem Lines Addressed To The Rev. J. T. Becher, On His Advising The Author To Mix More With Society that begins with:
Dear Becher, you tell me to mix with mankind;
I cannot deny such a precept is wise; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababXcXc adad ebeb cfcf abab ffXf ghgh icic
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11011101011 11001101101 1010001001011 10101001101 00101110101 01011111011 11000001001 01111001011 010001001001 11001001001 11001001001 11011011101 110010011011 111101110001 111001011001 01101001001 101001001001 11011011111 11011111011 110100001011 11111001011 11001011001 11001101001 11101001001 111001101001 01011011001 1100101010 111101101101 011010110110 01001101011 011010010010 01101011101 01001011011 111100001001 11111001001 11011001011
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 207
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, in, their, what, of, why, to, me are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words their, why, to are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lines Addressed To The Rev. J. T. Becher, On His Advising The Author To Mix More With Society;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.