This is an analysis of the poem When Thou Hast Spent The Lingering Day that begins with:
WHEN thou hast spent the lingering day in pleasure and delght,
Or after toil and weary way, dost seek to rest at night, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaaabbccddeeffccdX ggddXgbbaahhddaaggaX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 18,20,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11110100101011 11011101110111 10111101101101 11111111111101 11011101110101 10110101011101 11111001111101 11011000100101 111111000111101 01011101100111 10111101110001 11111101111001 10110101010101 01110011111111 01111111111101 11110111110101 10010111011111 01011101011100 11110111011101 11111101011101 11011111111101 11010101111101 01010101110101 11000101110101 101111010111010 010101111111010 11010101110101 11011111010111 01011111011101 11001111110111 01011101010101 10110111010101 11111100110101 11101100010101 10111011101101 10110111110101 11100101110111 11110101011101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1178
- Average number of words per stanza: 229
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 61 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thou, and, thy, may, ease, to, my, i, thus, rise are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words my, thus are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of When Thou Hast Spent The Lingering Day;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.