This is an analysis of the poem Morning Land that begins with:
Around and beneath, the dull grey mist and the sullen roar of the sea,
Scant footing-place on the sheer cliffs face—with death for a penalty;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXaa aaaa bbaa ccaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 01101011110101001 1101101110110100 101101101111011111 0101101011010101 011011010110101001 10101101111010101 101101101010011001 10111101001110101 1111001111111101 101011010110100101 11011010110100101 1111101011010101 1001111111110111 111111011101101 0101001110101111 010111001110101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 289
- Average number of words per stanza: 57
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 72 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 14
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, they, that are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
The author used the same word around at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word land at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Morning Land;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.