This is an analysis of the poem On The Death Of His Eldest Son that begins with:
Though short thy space, God's unimpeach'd decrees
Which made that shorten'd space one long disease;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbXcddccaaddceeff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 19,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11111100001 1111011101 1100010111 1101010111 1101010100 1101110111 1011010101 110111001001 1110011101 11110110001 1101110101 0101110101 1101010001 10110010011 1011110101 111011101 1101001101 1101110101 1101010111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 866
- Average number of words per stanza: 139
- Amount of lines: 19
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of On The Death Of His Eldest Son;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by George Canning
- Analysis of The Grand Consulation
- Analysis of The Traitor's Epitah
- Analysis of The New-Old Opposition